You have probably been doing some serious grilling during this great Boston weather we have been having. Here are some celebrity chef grilling tips to make your outdoor dinners and parties even better!
1. Before lighting the grill, apply non-stick spray to the grill grates. The non-stick spray helps keep food from sticking and cuts down on clean-up time.
2. For charcoal grills, never use gasoline, kerosene or highly volatile fluids as a starter. Use electric starters, solid metal chimneys or starters specifically made for lighting charcoal briquettes or wood chunks.
3. Always have an extra bag of charcoal or a full propane tank in case you run out in the middle of grilling.
4. To check if the temperature is ready for grilling on a charcoal grill, carefully hold your hand, palm side down, four to six inches above the grill grate. If you can keep it there for:
- 5+ seconds, the heat is low
- 4 seconds, the heat is medium
- 3 seconds, the heat is medium-hot
- 1-2 seconds, the heat is hot and ready
5. Keep your meats refrigerated and cold before grilling to reduce chances of bacteria growth.
6. For both gas grills and charcoal, when cooking with a medium to high heat flame keep the lid open when grilling directly over a fire. When you're grilling low and slow, keep the lid closed and use indirect heat.
7. Use the right grilling tools for. Invest in a good set of knives, some tongs, a spatula and a meat thermometer. Never stick the meat, use a turner.
8. Never leave your grill once you have started to grill your food. Stand by your post and be mindful of children.
9. Never squish, poke or cut into any meats you are grilling. This will cause your meats to dry out and overcook. When cooking hot dogs and sausages, turn the heat down and grill slowly to keep them plump and juicy. Keep them moving on the grill to prevent them from scorching.
10. A clean grill is a hotter, healthier grill. Scrub your grill with a sturdy grill brush after each grilling session to keep bugs, insects, rodents and pesky varmints from seeking any tasty leftover bits from your grill.
Enjoy grilling this summer with the right grill and the right tools. Looking for a new grill, grill supplies, propane or charcoal? Contact West Sport.